Building Department

The City of Wabash Building Department reviews plans and issues building permits for the construction of new structures and remodeling existing structures.

The Building Department also issues permits for electrical upgrades, garages, accessory buildings, pools, signs, sanitary sewer taps, roofing, and demolition.

Additional Permits may be required, please call Karen Smalley at 260.274.1491.

The Building Commissioner is responsible for the various inspections performed during the construction process and the final inspection to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy upon project completion.

Other duties of the Building Department include:

  • First Point of Contact for Residential Tax Abatement
  • Sidewalk Replacement Program
  • Contractor Registration List 
  • Issue Amusement Licenses
  • Enforcement of City Code Relating to Trash, Unsafe Buildings, and Inhabitable Conditions
  • Tree Removal Program

The Building Commissioner also serves as the Plan Commissioner Secretary and the Wabash Board of Zoning Appeals Secretary. Included in these issues are:

  • New Subdivisions
  • Subdivision Exclusions
  • Variance Packet
  • Special Exceptions Packet

The Building Commissioner serves as Floodplain Coordinator for the City of Wabash to insure construction in the floodplain complies with all Local, State, and Federal regulations.

Karen Smalley, Administrative Assistant to the Building Commissioner is your first point of contact for assistance, forms, and for scheduling inspections. Please call Karen 260-274-1491

All forms must be printed and emailed to:

Building Permit Payments - Here